You’ll need to be a Staff, Admin, or Owner to add manual customers and subscriptions. Read more about user roles and permissions.
On September 28, 2023 we released an update to manual subscriptions. Learn more about manual subscription versioning.
Adding a manual subscription is recommended when:
- You add a small dataset of customers who do not require frequent updates.
- Customers are invoiced outside of your billing system or billed using a system not supported by ChartMogul.
- You need to correct data from your billing system. For example, you accidentally issue a one-time invoice instead of a recurring invoice. Add a manual subscription to report a subscription for the customer.
Here's what we cover in this article:
- Manual subscription versioning
- Before you begin
- Key considerations
- Adding a manual customer
- Adding a manual subscription
- Modifying a manual subscription
- Canceling a manual subscription
- How ChartMogul calculates MRR for manual subscriptions
Manual subscription versioning
Accounts opened on or after September 28, 2023 use the latest version of manual subscriptions. Accounts opened prior to this date use the previous version and will be migrated to the latest version. To update your account to the latest version, contact support.
When your account is migrated, your existing Manual source becomes a custom data source with the name Manual/CSV.
|Previous version||Latest version|
|You must create a plan and customer using the Manual source to add a manual subscription||Add manual plans, customers, and subscriptions to a custom data source|
|Add a manual subscription to a manual customer||Add a manual subscription to any customer record|
|A customer can only have one active manual subscription at a time||Customers can have multiple manual subscriptions|
|Manual plans, customers, and subscriptions are not visible in Data Platform||View and manage manual plans, customers, and subscriptions in Data Platform|
|Add manual subscriptions in a customer’s record||Add manual subscriptions in a customer’s record, via the app interface in Data Platform, or using CSV|
|Manual subscriptions do not contribute to cash flow reports as they do not have transactions||Choose to have ChartMogul automatically report manual subscriptions as paid to contribute to cash flow reports|
Before you begin
- If you’re using the latest version of manual subscriptions, identify or create the custom data source you’ll use for the manual subscription.
- Identify or create the plan you’ll use for the manual subscription. Learn more.
- Review your Handling Past-due Subscriptions setting.
Before adding a manual subscription, please review the following information:
- Manual subscriptions generate MRR movements and contribute to all subscription metrics.
- Manual subscriptions are reported as paid and contribute to cash flow reports when the Contribute to cash flow reports option is selected.
- Manual subscriptions are active until explicitly canceled. Modifying the Contribute to cash flow reports option may auto-churn the subscription. Learn more.
- Once canceled, manual subscriptions cannot be re-activated. A new subscription must be added.
- Import manual subscriptions in bulk using CSV.
- Manual subscriptions must be added to a custom data source. When adding a manual subscription to a customer who has been imported using a different source, ChartMogul creates the manual subscription in a duplicate customer record and merges it automatically with the existing record. This process takes place in the background — the manual subscription simply appears in the existing customer record.
Adding a manual customer
- Navigate to Customers and click Add Lead/Customer.
- Select the source. If you’re using the previous version of manual subscriptions, select Manual.
- Complete the following information:
- Company name — Leave this field blank if the customer is an individual.
- Primary contact — The primary contact’s first name and last name.
- Primary contact email — The primary contact’s email address.
- Country — Select a country from the drop-down.
- City — The customer’s city.
- Zip — The customer’s postal code.
- Lead created at — Select the date when the customer became a lead.
- Free trial started at — Select the date when the customer started their free trial.
- External ID — The unique identifier of the customer. Accepts alphanumeric characters.
ChartMogul creates a new customer record. If you’re using the latest version of manual subscriptions, ChartMogul adds the customer to the source in Data Platform.
Adding a manual subscription
If you’re using the previous version of manual subscriptions, you must use customers and plans created using the Manual source to create a manual subscription.
- From Customers, select the customer record.
- Navigate to the Subscriptions tab and click Add Subscription.
- Complete the following information:
- Source — Select a custom data source from the drop-down.
- Plan — Select a plan from the drop-down. If you’re using the previous version of manual subscriptions, select a manual plan.
- Amount paid — The billing currency and final amount billed.
- Quantity — Amount of subscriptions.
- Subscription start date — The date the subscription will begin. If you’re using the previous version of manual subscriptions, future dates are not accepted.
- Contribute to cash flow reports — Select this option to have ChartMogul generate transactions and have the subscription contribute to cash flow reports. This does not impact your billing system.
Click Add Subscription. ChartMogul creates the subscription and classifies it as active until it is explicitly canceled. Modifying the Contribute to cash flow reports option may auto-churn the subscription. Learn more.
Modifying a manual subscription
Navigate to the Subscriptions section of the customer’s record and click Edit.
Within the Modify Subscription section, add the following MRR movements:
- Contraction — Decreasing the Amount paid or Quantity for the subscription.
- Expansion — Increasing the Amount paid or Quantity for the subscription.
Change the Contribute to cash flow reports option to update how ChartMogul reports transactions for the subscription.
For accurate reporting, include the Date of subscription modification.
Auto-churn of manual subscriptions
ChartMogul reports the subscription as paid when the Contribute to cash flow reports checkbox is selected. The subscription is reported as unpaid when the checkbox is not selected.
When you deselect this option for a subscription which was previously reported as paid (and contributing to cash flow reports), ChartMogul classifies the subscription as Past due. ChartMogul may automatically churn the subscription, depending on how you’ve configured your Handling Past-due Subscriptions setting.
Click Modify to save your changes.
Canceling a manual subscription
To cancel a manual subscription, navigate to the Subscriptions section of the customer's record and click Edit. Within the Churn Subscription section, add the cancellation date and click Churn.
Click Erase All Record of This Subscription to remove the subscription and erase its historical data.
How ChartMogul calculates MRR for manual subscriptions
ChartMogul calculates MRR for manual subscriptions using:
- The plan interval (‘day’, ‘month’, or ‘year’) defined when you created the plan.
- The interval count defined when you created the plan.
- The amount paid when the subscription was added.
For example, a customer billed every three (interval count) months (plan interval) who pays $300 (amount paid), would have $100 MRR ($300 / 3 months = $100 MRR).