If you're new to ChartMogul, learn how we import subscription data to generate metrics.
You'll need to be an Admin or Owner in ChartMogul and an Admin in Stripe to complete the steps in this article.
Stripe is one of ChartMogul’s supported billing systems, allowing you to import customer, subscription, and transaction data to generate subscription analytics and cash flow metrics.
Here's what we cover in this article:
- Data Settings
- How this integration works
- Before you begin
- Connecting Stripe to ChartMogul
- Using CMRR with Stripe
- Manually re-syncing data
- Deleting Stripe as a source
The following table provides details on key aspects of how ChartMogul integrates with Stripe.
|Customer import event||If you’re using the latest version of our Stripe integration, ChartMogul imports customers when they are created in Stripe. If you’re using a previous version, ChartMogul imports customers when they start a trial or have an invoice in Stripe.|
|Leads||ChartMogul imports lead dates when customers start a free trial in Stripe. The lead date is the same as the free trial start date.|
|Free trials||ChartMogul imports free trial start dates.|
|Custom attributes||ChartMogul automatically imports metadata from a customer object as custom attributes.|
|Historical data||When you add Stripe as a source, ChartMogul imports all existing subscription billing data and, optionally, customers deleted in Stripe.|
|Credits||ChartMogul imports credits and reports them in the Balance row of Net Cash Flow and Gross Cash Flow.|
|Paused subscriptions||ChartMogul does not offer native support for paused subscriptions. When a subscription is paused in Stripe, the customer status in ChartMogul is set to Past due at the end of the current service period, and the subscription continues to contribute to Monthly Recurring Revenue (MRR) while paused.|
|Reviewing subscription data in-app using our Data Platform||
If you’re using the latest version of our Stripe integration, once imported, ChartMogul gives you complete visibility into your data as it exists in our platform through a series of data tables. To view these tables, navigate to Data Platform > Sources, then select the source you want to view. Learn more about thedata stored in each table and table column or export it to CSV.
These data tables are, unfortunately, currently not available for previous versions of our Stripe integration.
|Tax handling||Stripe lists taxes separately on invoices. ChartMogul, therefore, excludes taxes from Monthly Recurring Revenue (MRR).|
|Automated tags||ChartMogul adds the
|Subscriptions with multiple components||Fully supported. Learn more.|
|Voided transactions||ChartMogul uses invoice data to calculate metrics and analytics and transaction data to generate cash flow reports. It is not possible to void a transaction in Stripe. However, it is possible to void an invoice. ChartMogul imports voided invoices; however, they do not contribute to Monthly Recurring Revenue (MRR).|
|Update frequency||Real-time. Learn more.|
|Maintained by||This integration is built and maintained by ChartMogul. Contact our support team for assistance.|
The following table provides details on how ChartMogul’s data settings work with your billing system.
|Smart Activity Classification||Fully supported. Learn more.|
|Auto-churn of Delinquent Subscriptions||Fully supported. Learn more.|
|Churn Recognition||Fully supported. Learn more.|
|Free Customer Handling||Fully supported. Learn more.|
|Refund Handling||ChartMogul deducts refunded transactions from Monthly Recurring Revenue (MRR).|
|Transaction Fee Handling||ChartMogul imports transaction fees and excludes them from Monthly Recurring Revenue (MRR).|
|Open invoice support||Fully supported for the latest version of our Stripe integration. Learn more.|
How this integration works
There are also several additional details you should understand and consider when using Stripe with ChartMogul.
|When adding Stripe as a source, import billing data from either your production or test data environments (i.e., Stripe live or test modes).||
Once set up, the Stripe environment you selected cannot be changed. To import data from a different environment, you’ll need to add a new source for Stripe.
|ChartMogul limits the number of imported invoices to 2,000 per customer.||ChartMogul uses invoice data to calculate metrics and analytics. Therefore, this limitation may impact the accuracy of your metrics and analytics.|
|Stripe allows customers to start a trial without adding their billing details. Learn more about using trial periods on subscriptions.||The customer’s first invoice is for $0. The customer is classified as a Lead during this time.|
On October 11, 2021, we released a new version of our Stripe integration. Read our launch announcement.
To check if you’re using the latest version, navigate to Data Platform > Sources and select your Stripe source. If you see view a series of tables with customer and invoice data, you’re using the latest version of our Stripe integration. If you’re only able to view the setup modal, you’re using a previous version, and some features may be unavailable.
To migrate your account to the latest version of our Stripe Integration, contact support.
Before you begin
- Review your data settings to ensure ChartMogul calculates metrics and analytics based on the needs of your business. Adjusting these settings after importing data will require you to manually re-sync data.
- Log in to the Stripe account you’d like to connect to ChartMogul. If you have multiple Stripe accounts, you’ll need to add each account as a separate source in ChartMogul.
- Decide which Stripe environment (i.e., live or test mode) ChartMogul should import data from.
- Decide if you’d like to import customers that have been deleted in Stripe.
- Decide how you’d like ChartMogul to classify customers with open invoices using the Invoiced Customer Handling setting.
Connecting Stripe to ChartMogul
- Navigate to Data Platform > Sources.
- Click ADD A SOURCE.
- Select Stripe.
- Enter a unique name and click Next.
- Using the Environment drop-down, select whether ChartMogul should import billing data from Production (live mode) or Test Data (test mode).
- Select Include deleted customers in Stripe to import them to ChartMogul.
- Then, click CONNECT WITH STRIPE.
- Select the account you'd like to connect to ChartMogul and click Connect.
- If you don't see the Stripe account you'd like to sync with ChartMogul, click the email address and then Switch user. Log in and click Connect.
- Once connected, you will be redirected back to ChartMogul.
- If you’re using the latest version of our Stripe integration, configure the Invoiced customer handling setting.
- Click Import Data to connect Stripe to ChartMogul and start importing your data.
The import can take some time, depending on the number of customers. After the import has concluded, ChartMogul will update automatically with any new activity from Stripe.
ChartMogul automatically imports all data once you’ve successfully connected it to Stripe. No further action is needed to import historical data.
Using CMRR with Stripe
Committed Monthly Recurring Revenue (CMRR) is a projection of MRR into the future. It’s calculated using subscription events, which Stripe imports automatically. Learn more about CMRR.
Here’s what you need to know about using CMRR with Stripe:
|CMRR is only available with the latest version of our Stripe integration.||If you’re using the previous version of our Stripe integration, subscription events are unavailable, and you will be unable to view CMRR.|
|ChartMogul begins importing subscription events on the date Stripe is added as a source.||Historical subscription events are not supported.|
|For each subscription, ChartMogul only reports the next scheduled subscription event when viewing CMRR.||For example, on May 27, a customer signs up for a subscription that begins on June 1 and will be upgraded on June 15. From May 27 to May 31, only the Start (Scheduled) event will be reported. On June 1, when the Start (Scheduled) event becomes New Business, the Update (Scheduled) event dated for June 15 will be reported.|
Manually re-syncing data
If you alter one of the settings in your source or a data setting requiring a re-sync, you will need to re-import your data to make the behavior consistent historically and going forward.
If you’re using the previous version of our Stripe integration, connected subscriptions will not be maintained when data is re-synced. If you’re using the latest version of our Stripe integration, connected subscriptions will be maintained. Check your version.
For information about whether edited customer details (such as trial and lead dates added manually) can be preserved as part of a re-sync, please contact support.
Here’s how to manually re-sync data when needed:
- Within ChartMogul, navigate to Data Platform > Sources.
- Find your Stripe source and click the Settings icon.
- Click RE-SYNC DATA.
ChartMogul will start re-importing your data and let you know where it’s at with a progress bar.
Deleting Stripe as a source
Deleting a source is permanent and cannot be undone.
Before deleting a source, please note the following:
- All data from this source will be immediately and irrevocably removed from ChartMogul.
- All MRR adjustments and connected subscriptions will be lost.
- If this source contains a merged customer, the customer profile and data from the non-deleted source will remain in ChartMogul.
To delete a Stripe source, navigate to Data Platform > Sources. Find the source in the list and click the Settings icon. From there, click DELETE THIS SOURCE.