Important: Before you begin
PayPal offers a number of separate subscription services:
Due to the design of these services, ChartMogul can only support integrations that use the PayPal Payments REST API.
If you’re using Payment Buttons or Express Checkout and are sending data through the HTML “form action” method: You will NOT be able to push your subscriptions to ChartMogul.
As an alternative, you could import your PayPal Customers using our Google Sheets app, or through our API. Manually-imported customers will not be linked to your PayPal account, but they will be included in your ChartMogul metrics in the same way.
If you’re using the Payments REST API: That’s great! You can continue with the steps below.
Connecting your PayPal account to ChartMogul
- Go to https://app.chartmogul.com/#admin/data-sources
- Click New data source.
- Enter a name for your connection, select Paypal from the System dropdown and click Next.
Create a new App in your PayPal account
- Log in to developer.paypal.com/developer/applications and click Create App, choose a name (e.g. ChartMogul connector) and click Create App.
- Switch to Live mode and from the 'LIVE API CREDENTIALS' section, copy and paste the 'Client ID' and 'Secret' into the fields provided in this section and click Save.
Add an IPN to your PayPal account
Import historic data from PayPal
Click ‘Import Data’
This will start your historical data import and connect your IPN. The import can take some time. Once the import has been completed, you’ll see your PayPal data in the ChartMogul dashboard. If you had setup your IPN, ChartMogul will update automatically with any activity from your PayPal account.
What you need to know:
- Basic subscription button profile IDs are not supported, instead we use Billing Agreements API.
- There is a lag of approximately 3 hours for importing data from PayPal into ChartMogul due to limitations in the PayPal API.
- It is not recommended to perform a bulk importing or reimport between 0-5 AM UTC. Some transactions might not be available yet on the side of PayPal and this will result in missing transactions in your ChartMogul account.
- Our Paypal integration currently doesn't support tracking refunds.
- Taxes billed through PayPal do not follow ChartMogul's default tax handling behaviour. Tax will not be broken out into a separate line item in ChartMogul and will be included in your recurring revenue metrics, including MRR, ARR, MRR movements, Average revenue per account, and Average sale price. Tax will not be excluded from your Cash flow metrics, such as Net cash flow and Non-recurring revenue. You can learn more about tax handling in ChartMogul here.
- PayPal allows each Billing Plan in its system to have several Payment Definitions. This means that each PayPal Billing Plan will be imported as several ChartMogul Plans - one for each Payment Definition within the Billing Plan.
- Our PayPal integration doesn't import failed transactions.