Before adding custom attributes, see the list of standard attributes ChartMogul comes with.
Custom attributes are additional data points you add to customers, such as their last login, the marketing campaign used to acquire them, or the name of their account manager to help with search, filtering, and segmentation.
Here's what we cover in this article:
- An overview of custom attributes
- Types of custom attributes
- Adding custom attributes
- Editing custom attributes
- Managing custom attributes
Custom attributes consist of two parts: a name and a value. ChartMogul displays the name next to the attribute’s value. The value is the additional data point you’ve added to a customer’s profile.
Types of custom attributes
A custom attribute’s data type defines what type of information it stores (e.g., number or string) and, as a result, which operators you can use when filtering. Learn how filters work.
|String||Sequence of letters, numbers, or symbols up to 255 characters in length.||
||Account manager, Marketing campaign|
||NPS score, CSAT score, Number of emails opened, Number of site visits|
|Timestamp||Date and time||
||First visit date, Date of support ticket, Date of upgrade from free plan|
|Boolean||True or false condition||
||Signed up for newsletter, Contacted support, Contacted regarding upsell|
Adding custom attributes
There are several ways to add custom attributes in ChartMogul.
Imported from supported billing systems
If you use one of these supported billing systems, ChartMogul automatically imports the following data as custom attributes to customers.
- App Store Connect — if the user token has access to data from more than one account and/or vendor, ChartMogul imports the Account ID and Vendor ID
- Chargebee — metadata
- GoCardless — metadata
- Google Play — metadata via the payloads URL
- Stripe — metadata from the customer object
Manually via Data Platform
An attribute's Name and Data type are permanent and cannot be changed.
Add custom attributes in-app using the Custom Attributes Manager.
- Navigate to Data Platform > Manage > Custom Attributes.
- Click NEW CUSTOM ATTRIBUTE.
- Enter a name for the attribute.
- Select a Data type using the drop-down.
- Click SAVE.
Build your own integration to send custom attributes from any tool you use for marketing, customer relationship management, or even your own database using our Enrichment API.
Import custom attributes from other apps used at your organization by integrating ChartMogul with Zapier.
Add attributes using our Google Sheets app. Learn more about importing custom attributes from a Google Sheet.
Editing custom attributes
Update attributes in-app by navigating to Customers and then the customer profile you’d like to update.
Update a customer's attributes by navigating to Custom Attributes and clicking the Edit icon next to the attribute you want to change. Then, click the Tick icon to confirm.
Managing custom attributes
You'll need to be a Staff, Admin, or Owner to manage custom attributes. Read more about user roles and permissions.
View and manage attributes by navigating to Data Platform > Manage > Custom Attributes.
There, you'll find the Custom Attributes Manager table with the following details:
- Name — the name of the attribute displayed
- Data Type — the data type of the attribute, either String, Integer, Decimal, Timestamp, or Boolean
- Updated By — the source that last used the attribute, either the name of a user or enrichment method (ex: API, Zapier)
By default, ChartMogul displays attributes alphabetically in-app (e.g., on the customer profile page, in the filter drop-down, etc.). To customize the order, hold and drag the Hamburger icon.
Attributes cannot be deleted. However, you can retire an attribute you no longer want to use by clicking ARCHIVE. Archived attributes will move to the bottom of the table. Revive a retired attribute by clicking UNARCHIVE.
- Use custom attributes to create a customer list.
- Classify and group customers using tags.