This is a new feature, read the announcement here.
This guide will explain how to add trial and lead data to your customers in ChartMogul using Google Sheets, so that you can track metrics such as Trial-to-paid conversion rate and Average sales cycle length in your ChartMogul account.
If you are unfamiliar with this feature, you might want to read the Help Center article Setup trial-to-paid conversion rate and lead tracking first.
You can view the full reference guide to Importing customer attributes from a Google Sheet here.
- Installing and setting up the Google Sheets integration
- Adding trial and lead dates to your paying customers from a Google Sheet
- Adding leads and trialling customers to ChartMogul from a Google Sheet
Installing and setting up the Google Sheets integration
- Install the ChartMogul Sheets app from the Google Sheets web store here.
- In a new Google Sheet click Add-ons > ChartMogul > Open app, then add your ChartMogul API keys to the app. You can find these here.
Adding trial and lead dates to your paying customers from a Google Sheet
Adding the "Lead created at" and "Free trial started at" dates to your current paying customers enables ChartMogul determine the trial-to-paid conversion rate, and the average sales cycle length.
- In the ChartMogul Google Sheets app, click Enrichment > Insert template. This will add a formatted template to the Sheet that you can use to add Lead Creation and Trial Started At dates to your customers.
- In column A of the Google Sheet, enter a customer's email address or external id. You can find these on their ChartMogul customer profile. Column B will be ignored by the app. In column D enter either free_trial_started_at or lead_created_at depending on the data that you want to import. In column C enter the date a customer started their free trial or the date they were created in your CRM.
- Once you have formatted your data click Send attributes to ChartMogul in the ChartMogul Google Sheets app. This will begin importing your trial and lead dates into ChartMogul. Keep the Google Sheet open while importing your data or the import will be stopped by Google Sheets.
Adding leads and trialling customers in real-time to ChartMogul from a Google Sheet
This enables ChartMogul to report leads before they are added to your billing system, ensuring that all trials and leads are reported as soon as they are created.
- In the ChartMogul Google Sheets app, click Billing Data > Customers > Insert template. This will add a formatted template to the Sheet that you can use to import your leads and trialling customers to ChartMogul.
- You should see 10 fields to fill in. Using the template insert your customer data into the sheet. The only required fields are Name and either Email or External Id. If you enter an Email, but not an External Id, the Email will be used as the External Id. Company and all location-based fields are optional.
- The Trial and Lead fields in columns I and J are optional, but are required if you want your leads and trialling customers to contribute to Leads and Trial metrics such as Trial-to-paid conversion rates. Enter a date value in these fields.
- When you have formatted your data, click Send customers to ChartMogul. This will create the customers in your ChartMogul account.
When a customer converts to paid and is charged in your billing system, this may create a duplicate customer record in ChartMogul. You can merge the customer record imported from Google Sheets with the record imported from your billing system by using the customer merge feature.
Note: Keep the Google Sheet open in your browser while you are importing customers, otherwise Google Sheets will cancel the import. The app will inform you if a customer is exported/not exported and will alert you when the import is complete.
You can also find your successfully imported customers reported in ChartMogul > Customers.