Read our announcement about this feature when we launched it.
This guide explains how to add trial and lead data to your customers in ChartMogul using Google Sheets so that you can track metrics such as Trial-to-paid conversion rate and Average sales cycle length in ChartMogul.
If you're unfamiliar with this feature, we suggest first reading about Setup trial-to-paid conversion rate and lead tracking. You can also view the full reference guide to Importing customer attributes from a Google Sheet.
- Installing and setting up the Google Sheets integration
- Adding trial and lead dates to your paying customers from a Google Sheet
- Adding leads and trialing customers to ChartMogul from a Google Sheet
Installing and setting up the Google Sheets integration
- Install the ChartMogul Sheets app from the Google Sheets web store here
- In a new Google Sheet click Add-ons > ChartMogul > Open app, then add your ChartMogul API keys to the app.
Adding trial and lead dates to your paying customers from a Google Sheet
Adding the Lead created at and Free trial started at dates to your current paying customers enables ChartMogul to determine the trial-to-paid conversion rate and the average sales cycle length.
- In the ChartMogul Google Sheets app, click Enrichment > Insert template. This will add a formatted template to the Sheet that you can use to add Lead Creation and Trial Started At dates to your customers.
- In column A of the Google Sheet, enter a customer's email address or external id. You can find these on their ChartMogul customer profile. The app ignores column B. In column D, enter either free_trial_started_at or lead_created_at depending on the data that you want to import. In column C, enter the date the customer started their free trial or the date they were created in your CRM.
- Once you have formatted your data, click Send attributes to ChartMogul in the ChartMogul Google Sheets app. This will begin importing your trial and lead dates into ChartMogul. Be sure to keep the Google Sheet open while importing your data. Otherwise, the import will stop.
Adding leads and trialing customers in real-time to ChartMogul from a Google Sheet
This enables ChartMogul to report leads before they're added to your billing system, ensuring that all trials and leads are reported as soon as they are created.
- In the ChartMogul Google Sheets app, click Billing Data > Customers > Insert template. This will add a formatted template to the Sheet that you can use to import your leads and trial customers to ChartMogul.
- You should see 10 fields to fill in. Using the template, insert your customer data into the sheet. The only required fields are Name and either Email or External Id. If you enter an Email (but not an External Id), the Email will be used as the External Id. Company and all location-based fields are optional.
- The Trial and Lead fields in columns I and J are optional but are required if you want your leads and trialing customers to contribute to Leads and Trial metrics such as Trial-to-paid conversion rates. Enter a date value in these fields.
- When you have formatted your data, click Send customers to ChartMogul. This will create the customers in your ChartMogul account.
When a customer converts to paid and is charged in your billing system, this may create a duplicate customer record in ChartMogul. You can merge the customer record imported from Google Sheets with the record imported from your billing system using the customer merge feature.
Note: Be sure to keep the Sheet open in your browser while importing customers. Otherwise, Google will stop the import. The app will inform you if a customer is exported/not exported and will alert you when the import is complete.
You can also find your successfully imported customers reported in ChartMogul > Customers.