Read-only users can view customer information. Staff, Admins, or Owners can update customer information using the app interface. Read more about user roles and permissions.
A customer in ChartMogul is an individual or company with a current or past relationship with your business, viewable in ChartMogul from Customers.
Here’s what we cover in this article:
- Adding a new customer
- Sections of a customer record
- Deleting a customer
Resources and further reading:
Adding a new customer
If you use a supported billing system, ChartMogul imports customers and creates customer records automatically. Learn more about the event that triggers the import in your billing system’s integration guide.
For custom data sources, there are three options for adding customers:
- Manually — Add customers directly to your custom data source.
- CSV — Upload customers as CSV to your custom data source.
- Import API — Import customers using our API.
Sections of a customer record
- Avatar — ChartMogul fetches a logo using Clearbit. If no logo can be located, ChartMogul fetches an avatar using Gravatar. If neither can be located, a stylized initial letter of the company name or customer name is automatically generated.
- MRR — the customer’s current monthly recurring revenue for active and past due subscriptions.
- ARR — the customer’s current annual run rate for active and past due subscriptions.
- Net payments — the total amount of successful payments (minus refunds) the customer has made.
- Subscriber since — the length of time since the customer started their first subscription. Hover over to view the exact date and time. (Not visible if customer status is New Lead, Working Lead, Qualified Lead, Unqualified Lead, or Cancelled Subscriber.)
- Customer status — the customer’s current status, either the lead status assigned by a user or a status ChartMogul assigns based on the customer’s subscription. Learn more.
If a customer imported from a supported billing system does not have up-to-date information in ChartMogul (such as a missing invoice), update their record by clicking RE-SYNC.
Merge duplicate customer records by clicking MERGE. Learn more.
To delete a customer in ChartMogul, click DELETE. To restore the customer, re-sync your source.
Click NOTE to add any text you want to the customer record. On April 3, 2023 we updated customer records in ChartMogul. Notes added before this date are stored here.
If you’re using ChartMogul CRM, you’ll have access to the following features:
- Email a customer from the app interface by clicking EMAIL. Learn more.
- Create a record of a phone conversation by clicking LOG A CALL. Add details about the call, enter the number of minutes, and click SAVE.
- View open tasks associated with this customer in the Tasks section. Learn more.
All of the customer’s current and past opportunities. Learn more.
If you’re using ChartMogul CRM, review our setup guide for information about adding contacts.
An individual with a current or past relationship with your business.
To add a contact using the app interface:
- Click ADD CONTACT.
- In the pop-up that opens, enter the contact’s information:
- First name
- Last name
- Email address
- Phone number
- Additional data points you’ve added as custom attributes. Learn more.
It isn’t possible to add contacts to a supported billing system source (excluding Stripe). However, ChartMogul provides an automated workaround: when adding contacts using the app interface to a customer record in a supported billing system source, ChartMogul creates a duplicate customer record (with contacts) in a custom data source and then merges it automatically into the record in your billing system source. Contacts added to duplicate records via the API are also merged automatically into records in a supported billing system source. This happens in the background — all you’ll see is a customer record that includes contacts.
To delete a contact in ChartMogul, click the Dots, then Delete contact. ChartMogul deletes the contact’s data and emails stored in ChartMogul. This doesn’t impact your email inbox.
- Owner — The user who is responsible for the customer relationship.
- Status — The customer’s status. Either the lead status assigned by a user or a status ChartMogul assigns based on the customer’s subscription. ChartMogul uses statuses to organize and classify customers. Learn more.
- Company name — Include a company name when the customer is an organization and not an individual.
- Contact info (legacy) — On April 3, 2023 we updated customer records in ChartMogul. Contact information added before this date is stored here.
- Location — The customer’s location. Depending on your billing system, this can be the customer’s address or location data tied to their payment method. ChartMogul uses customer location data to calculate and display subscription metrics geographically. Learn more.
- Lead created at — Length of time since the customer showed interest in your product/service. Hover over to view the exact date and time. This date comes from your billing system or is added manually. Learn more about tracking leads and trials.
- Trial started at — Length of time since the customer started a free trial of your product/service. Hover over to view the exact date and time. This date comes from your billing system or is added manually. Learn more about tracking leads and trials.
- ChartMogul ID (UUID) — An automatically generated unique ID. This value is permanent and cannot be changed.
- Sources — The repository within ChartMogul for a customer’s subscription billing data. Learn more.
Update a customer's information by clicking the Edit icon next to the detail you want to change. Then, click the Tick icon to confirm.
Keywords or terms you've added to classify and group customers in ChartMogul. Learn more.
Monthly Recurring Revenue
A graph showing the customer’s MRR over time. Zoom in on a portion of the timeline by highlighting a section of the X-axis or click EDIT MRR to connect subscriptions or adjust MRR.
ChartMogul creates MRR movements for subscription events (changes) that increase or decrease the subscription’s calculated MRR. The movements for a customer are listed here. Learn more.
Revenue Recognition Schedule
This table reports recognized revenue for a customer for each month. Learn more.
Successful, failed, or voided payments and refunds for a customer.
Deleting a customer
To delete a customer:
- Navigate to the customer’s record.
- Click DELETE.
- Click OK to confirm.
Organize customers using customer lists.