ChartMogul provides the most accurate metrics and analytics once you’ve imported all of your billing data. The integrations we’ve built with leading SaaS billing systems make this effortless. However, you may have historical (or additional) customer and billing data in other systems. This can occur for many reasons, such as when you’ve switched billing systems or manually bill one or more customers outside your normal billing process or system.
After connecting ChartMogul to one of our supported billing systems and importing data, if you have historical data, we recommend importing it using a new custom data source. Then, merge duplicate customers and connect their subscriptions to ensure the metrics you’re working with inside ChartMogul are accurate and actionable.
While it’s possible to manually add customer and billing data to an existing source (i.e., the one connected to your billing system), we strongly advise against this, as any data you add manually is lost when you re-sync that source.
Here’s what we cover in this article:
- Adding a custom data source
- Importing historical data
- Merging duplicate customers
- Connecting subscriptions
Before you begin
Please review the following details before completing the steps we outline in this article.
- Identify all historical (or additional) customer and billing data that exists outside of the billing system you’ve already connected to ChartMogul.
- Familiarize yourself with the options available for importing historical data into ChartMogul and decide which option works best for you.
- Identify any customers already in ChartMogul for whom you’ll be importing historical data. Having this list ready will help when merging customer records.
Step 1 — Add a custom data source
Start by creating a new, custom data source for the billing data you’ll import:
- Navigate to Data Platform > Sources and click ADD A SOURCE.
- Select Custom Data Source.
- Enter a unique name.
- Click NEXT.
Step 2 — Import historical data
There are several ways to import historical (or additional) customer and billing data into ChartMogul using a custom data source, depending on whether you have direct access to the data and your technical expertise:
- Manually — Add customers and their billing data directly to the custom data source.
- CSV — Format the billing data as CSV and upload it to the custom data source.
- Import API — Import billing data using our Import API.
It’s also possible to import customer and billing data using Google Sheets. Learn more.
Step 3 — Merge duplicate customers
Merging customers is permanent and cannot be undone.
After importing your historical data, you may have duplicate customers, i.e., two profiles for the same customer: one imported by ChartMogul from your billing system and another from your historical data.
Consolidate the customer’s billing history into one profile by merging them either in app or using our Import API. Learn more about merging customers.
To merge customers in app:
- Navigate to Customers and find the duplicate customer that was created as part of uploading your historical data. You can also find these customers using the Customers tab of the custom data source.
- Click MERGE.
- Choose the customer ChartMogul imported from your billing system.
- Click NEXT.
- Click Confirm and merge to proceed.
Step 4 — Connect subscriptions
Once merged, the customer’s Monthly Recurring Revenue will be displayed as two separate subscriptions. To prevent false churn and contraction reporting, connect the subscriptions.