ChartMogul allows you to include customers previously deleted in Stripe as part of the data we import. We added this option for users who delete customer data in Stripe to comply with GDPR.
Previously, customers you deleted in Stripe would remain in ChartMogul until you re-synced the Stripe data source or manually deleted the customer in ChartMogul. Now, ChartMogul can either automatically delete or anonymize the customer, depending on the setting you select.
Changing the setting
The option to import deleted Stripe customers is not enabled by default. Here’s how to enable it:
- Click the Data Platform icon in the left menu
- Click Data platform
- Find your Stripe data source in the list and click the gear icon
- Check Include deleted customers in Stripe:
- Click Re-sync Data to apply the changes
What you need to know
When Include deleted customers in Stripe is enabled:
- ChartMogul imports customers previously deleted in Stripe and anonymizes the data, so no personally identifiable information is stored in our platform
- When you delete a customer in Stripe that already exists in ChartMogul, the customer remains in ChartMogul. However, ChartMogul cancels the customer’s active subscriptions and removes any personally identifiable information (such as name, company, email, or address). Custom attributes, however, remain.
- ChartMogul adds a deleted_customer_in_stripe tag to deleted customers in Stripe
- ChartMogul uses Stripe’s Events API to retrieve deleted customer data. Stripe doesn’t allow events older than 30 days to be retrieved anymore. Because of this, ChartMogul won’t import customers deleted more than 30 days ago.
When Include deleted customers in Stripe is not enabled:
- ChartMogul does not import customers previously deleted in Stripe
- ChartMogul deletes the customer (including custom attributes) when it is deleted in Stripe
- If a deleted customer in Stripe is merged, the customer will not be deleted in ChartMogul. However, ChartMogul will remove any invoices and transactions related to the deleted customer.
If you decide to change the configuration of Include deleted customers in Stripe, you’ll need to re-sync your data.