ChartMogul allows you to export MRR movements, customers, custom attributes, and tags to Google Cloud Storage. From there, you can send your data to a data warehouse and combine it with other datasets for further analysis.
Here’s what we cover in this article:
- Creating a service account
- Creating a Cloud Storage bucket
- Assigning permissions
- Adding Google Cloud Storage as a destination
Resources and further reading:
Before you begin
Please review the following details before completing the steps we outline in this article.
- You’ll need to have a Google Cloud project for your Cloud Storage bucket. Please review the steps to create a Google Cloud project.
- You’ll need to choose a name for your Cloud Storage bucket. Please review Google’s bucket naming guidelines as part of this.
- You’ll need to select a geographic location for your bucket. Learn more about bucket locations.
- You'll need to decide which format you'd like ChartMogul to send data, either as a
gzipcompressed CSV (according to RFC4180) or using the parquet data storage format (with Snappy compression in parts of 50,000 records per part).
Step 1 — Create a Cloud Storage service account
First, create a service account that will have permission to access the bucket. After creating the service account, you’ll download the account’s private key as a JSON file, which you’ll need as part of creating the destination in ChartMogul.
- Within Google Cloud Platform, navigate to IAM and Admin > Service Accounts.
- Click + CREATE SERVICE ACCOUNT.
- Enter a name for the service account, e.g., ChartMogul, in the Service account name field, then click DONE.
- Once Google has created the account, find it in the Service accounts table, click the vertical ellipse Actions icon, and select Manage keys. Next, click ADD KEY > Create a new key.
- With JSON selected as the Key type, click CREATE. Your browser should then download the private key as a JSON file.
Step 2 — Create a Cloud Storage bucket for ChartMogul
Next, create a new Cloud Storage bucket:
- Within Google Cloud Platform, navigate to Cloud Storage and click + CREATE BUCKET.
- Name your bucket and click CONTINUE.
- Choose where you’d like to store your data by selecting Region as the Location Type and a region from the Location drop-down, then click CONTINUE.
- Complete any additional setup options you may need, then click CREATE.
Step 3 — Assign permissions to the bucket
- Click Choose how to protect object data.
- Click the PERMISSIONS tab.
- Click + ADD.
- In the New principals field, enter the email address associated with the Service Account you created in the previous step.
- Select Storage Object Admin from the Role drop-down.
- Click Save.
Step 4 — Add Google Cloud Storage as a destination
Finally, add your Google Cloud Storage as a destination in ChartMogul.
- Within ChartMogul, navigate to Data Platform > Destinations.
- Click ADD DESTINATION and select Google Cloud Storage.
- Enter a unique name for your destination in the Name field.
- Choose how often you’d like ChartMogul to export data to your bucket, either:
- Daily (9:00 UTC each day),
- Weekly (9:00 UTC each Sunday), or
- Monthly (9:00 UTC on the first day of each month).
- Custom attributes, or
- Currency rates
- Parquet, or
ChartMogul will perform a test connection and, if successful, add your Cloud Storage bucket as a new destination.