Importing lead and trial data into ChartMogul lets you benefit from our Leads and Trials charts. These charts are useful for sales and marketing teams to evaluate campaign performance, measure trial conversion rates, and track the number of leads.
If you track leads and trials in one of the following supported billing systems, then no additional setup is required — ChartMogul imports this data automatically, and there’s nothing else you need to do. Read more.
- App Store Connect
- GoCardless (lead data only)
- Google Play
If, on the other hand, you store lead and trial data in a system not listed above, keep reading to find out how to import this data into ChartMogul.
Here’s what we cover in this article:
- An overview of leads and trials in ChartMogul
- Adding a custom data source
- Importing lead and trial data
- Merging customer profiles
Resources and further reading:
Before you begin
Please review the following details before completing the steps we outline in this article.
- Define exactly what a lead is for your business. For example, is it any individual or company that interacts with your business? Only those who download specific content? Attend a webinar? Join your email list? Answering this question is central to defining when an individual or company enters the top of your sales funnel and, therefore, becomes a potential new customer worth pursuing.
- Familiarize yourself with the options available for importing lead and trial data into ChartMogul, and decide which option works best for you.
- We highly recommend importing the date an individual or company becomes a lead and the date they start a trial into ChartMogul as soon as these occur so that you have the most accurate and up-to-date Trial-to-Paid Conversion Rate and Average Sales Cycle Length metrics.
Leads and trials in ChartMogul
Each potential future customer begins their relationship with your business as a lead. They may evaluate your product/service by starting a trial before signing up for a subscription.
A lead is an individual or organization who shows interest in your product/service and has the potential to become a subscriber. Not all leads will complete a trial, nor will all leads become subscribers.
A customer with a
Lead created at date is classified as a Lead and included in the Leads and Average Sales Cycle Length charts. Customers who have a Lead status and do not have a
created at date do not contribute to these charts.
A trial is the period when a lead evaluates your product/service before becoming a paying subscriber. Not all leads complete a trial, and some begin their trial long after they become a lead.
Tracking trials in ChartMogul enables you to use the Free Trials and Trial-to-Paid Conversion Rate charts. These charts work once you’ve populated the
Free trial started at date field in customer profiles.
Step 1 — Add a custom data source
Start by creating a new, custom data source for the lead and trial data you’ll import:
- Navigate to Data Platform > Sources and click ADD A SOURCE.
- Select Custom Data Source.
- Enter a unique name.
- Click NEXT.
Step 2 — Import lead and trial data
There are several ways to import lead and trial data into ChartMogul, depending on the amount of data you have and your technical expertise.
To import a large volume of lead and trial data, and have this data stay up-to-date automatically, use the following method:
To import a smaller volume of lead and trial data, use one of the following manual methods:
- Upload customer data using CSV
- Add data manually using ChartMogul’s Data Platform
- Import data using Google Sheets
Step 3 — Merge customer profiles
When a lead converts to a paid subscriber, you may end up with two profiles for the same customer: one as a Lead in your custom data source and another as Active in your billing system’s source. For accurate metrics, consolidate these profiles by merging them in app or using our Import API. Learn more about merging customers.
To merge customers in app:
- Navigate to Customers and find the duplicate customer created as part of uploading your lead and trial data. You can also find these customers using the Customers tab of the custom data source.
- Click MERGE.
- Choose the customer ChartMogul imported from your billing system.
- Click NEXT.
- Click Confirm and merge to proceed.