The merge customer feature enables you to merge duplicate customer records in ChartMogul into one record. Merge customers in app or using our API.
A common use case for merging customer records would be a customer existing in two different billing systems (such as during a billing system switch). This results in a duplicate customer record of this customer when ChartMogul imports data from both billing systems. The customer merge feature allows you to consolidate the corresponding customers and their billing history for accurate metrics.
The following happens when merging customer records:
- The merged customer will have the UUID, email address, and location of the customer that they are being merged into.
- Both customers’ external IDs, tags, custom attributes, and notes will be preserved.
- Subscriptions, MRR movements, and transactions will be collated and ordered by date.
- If the same custom field exists on the customer record that you are merging into, the field value of the target customer will be preserved, and the one from the source customer will be lost.
Merging customers in-app
Merging a small number of customer records in-app is generally manageable. Here's how:
- Navigate to the customer profile that you want to merge and click MERGE.
- Within Merge Customers, click the field below Customer to merge into.
- ChartMogul will automatically make a suggestion based on the email address or company name of the source customer that you can select. You can also search for the target customer manually by typing a search string into the box.
- Once you have found the target customer to merge into, click NEXT.
- You will be asked to confirm that this is the intended customer to merge into. Click Confirm and merge to proceed.
It may take a moment for the MRR movements table to rebuild. Once the process has been completed, you will see a notification confirming the customers were merged successfully.
Merging customers using the API
To merge a larger number of customer records, you can do so programmatically using our Merge Customers API endpoint. Learn more in our Developer Hub.